Tuesday 22 September 2015

Day12: Respect, Compassion and Gratitude

Some time ago I had the privilege to train under Sensei Phil McColl and O’Sensei Don Warrener in Goju Ryu Karate Do. The tenets that governed this martial arts instruction were respect, compassion and gratitude. As we embark on a fresh school year, I am reminded of the parallels between instruction in the dojo (martial arts training hall) and in the classroom.

Commonly interpreted as ‘teacher’, the literal translation of the Japanese term ‘Sensei’ is ‘one who has gone before’. It is from this interpretation that the tenets of respect and compassion are best understood. The karate ka (student) from the outset of his or her training is taught to show respect toward the Sensei and toward fellow students. By way of counterpoint, instructors and senior students are expected to show compassion for students who have less experience or need extra help. Ongoing respect and compassion help to create a positive, collaborative and harmonious learning environment in the dojo.

Is this so different in SCDSB schools and classrooms? When I have the opportunity to observe student learning in our classrooms, I am pleased to see evidence of respect and compassion in our students’ work, our teachers’ lesson plans and in the classroom environment. Listen for the evidence of respect and compassion in the following SCDSB student’s account of his grade 9 mathematics experience:





The third tenet of martial arts training that I remember well is gratitude. In the dojo we were grateful for our Sensei, our training facilities and partners and our loved ones. As an educator in SCDSB I am grateful for the opportunity to learn and teach, my students, my supervisors and colleagues, available learning tools and my loved ones.

I wonder if we had more explicit discussions with our students and colleagues about respect, compassion and gratitude if it would help to create an even more positive learning environment in our classrooms. I wonder how this way of thinking could complement our dedication to the fostering of growth mindsets. My humble challenge to the reader is to look for, encourage and celebrate with students the evidence of respect, compassion and gratitude in our daily work.


References
Sensei Phil McColl, McMaster Goju Ryu Karate Dojo

O’Sensei Don Warrener, Don Warrener’s Martial Arts Academy


1 comment:

  1. A really enjoy martial arts competitions, but I am old school at heart. I miss the days when the martial arts taught character building and respect. I think the loss of these aspects has hurt the growth of the martial arts world, and hurt it tremendously. A few really good beacons of traditional spirit are still out there, thankfully.

    Matthew Lawrence @ Kung Fu Philly

    ReplyDelete