Wednesday 9 September 2015

Day 3 - It Takes a Little Time




Here we are 3 days into the 2015-2016 school year and I am coming to realize something that I had forgotten. In our world of instant access to everything, I had forgotten the necessity of time to process. 
For the last three days, I have been struggling to learn new software. I have to learn to work within it because it is the only thing that will work for the intended purpose. I admit, this learning is not fun, it is hard and sometimes I have been hugely frustrated. It is taking way more time than I actually have to give, but, when I finally figure something out and make it do what I want it to, the feeling of self-satisfaction is fantastic!
Last night I was thinking about this process and looking through the student lens.  As teachers, I think we often want to make everything go smoothly for our kids, we want everything to work and work the first time. I'm coming to understand that it is in the process, in the struggle that the real lessons come. That feeling of, "I figured it out!" is what builds self-motivation to learn. We need to give ourselves and our students the permission to take the time to think, work and figure it out. The lessons of that process are the building blocks of real learning. Even though it's not fun, I'm persevering because in the end, it will be worth it! 




No comments:

Post a Comment