Thursday 22 October 2015

Day 33: Moving from our Comfort Zone

So this is my first blog post. I have to admit I feel a little uncomfortable with writing this. It is so out of my comfort zone! But, I know that is exactly the reason why I should do it! So here goes…

Last week I had the opportunity to attend the SIM (System Implementation and Monitoring) sessions for the Barrie Region. The two days were filled with lots of opportunity to learn and I found myself reflecting on that learning for some time. I thought a lot about MJ Gallagher’s suggestion that it is a leader’s role to comfort the distressed and distress the comfortable. I also thought about and agreed with the emphasis placed on remembering the human factor in everything we do. After an almost exclusive SIM focus on Math last year, Literacy was highlighted again and I really liked that the focus seems to have grown to include the critical literacy needed for our learners to navigate the digital world. Overall, the messages delivered at SIM seemed to confirm that Simcoe is not only the right path but is leading in many ways. I thought about how lucky we are here in Simcoe, and specifically, how lucky we are as part of the Program and Innovation Team because our leaders have given us “permission to innovate.” It speaks to the trust that has been developed in our system. Presenters at SIM spoke of how important it is to cultivate a culture of innovation and a culture of inquiry. I have been reflecting on what was started last year and I am excited by the possibilities this year.


1 comment:

  1. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
    Dr. Seuss
    This year is full of potential...I am also excited about the possibilities.
    Terrific post!!

    ReplyDelete